Monday, June 7, 2010

beach weekend!

this weekend i joined tylers family for a lovely weekend beach trip! it was so nice :) the weather was perfect and the water, perfecto! we even had the opportunity to meet a bunch of parrots!

thats tyler in the back with the orange bird on his head and me in the front in the 2-piece. normally i dont think i look so uncomfortable in photos, but he totally gave me the bird named peepee. seriously dude? .... its just asking for trouble.

and BONUS: i didnt get burnt like last year when we went! this is a BIG accomplishment for me. i might be the whitest white girl out there, so the sun rays hunt me down and get me every time. last year, i ended up all red and blistered like this:

shits nasty, yall

we also passed up a shopping center that was clearly designed with me in mind:

thats right- fabric, donuts and booze!

so i also happened to have on the best beach outfit of all time while i was there! it is the one i have on in the bird photo

sorry for the awkwardness, i cant find my tripod so i have to take photos like a 15 year old on myspace.

the skirt is from butterick 9633 and the top is from view c on stretch & sew 1362.

i made the whole thing from one full sized fitted bed sheet. i was hoping there would be enough for some cute little bloomers but the stripes wouldnt fall together right. i really like the top, and will definetly be making another one in a more 'water-friendly' material.
so i had this amazing get up and then i also got a package in the mail just before we left. it was the shoes ive been waiting for all week long! the *perfect* shoes for this outfit- behold!
i love these shoes so much! they are comfy, cute and have a wedge! i got theme here if anyone interested... which you should be! this also was the first time ive gotten to wear 2 shoes in a month! i got my foot x-rayed the other day (not broken, possibly a torn muscle or ligament) and they gave me a new air cast i can fit either in or over my shoes. thank goodness, i was getting really tired of hobbling around in one shoe all the time!

and speaking of, let me show you my skirt i made for that dr appointment!

hazaah! its TIME 2000!

i dont know what is the deal with this fabric, but i love it! it used to be a set of curtains (little ones) but i really needed something lazer-y to go with x-rays... right? its from simplicity 8126.

i decided against the pleat in the front, partly because it wasnt right for this fabric, partly because i didnt have enough of the fabric. it can out awesome though and tyler, who loves him some sci-fi, really like it a lot.

i found a photo sort of, of my awesome beach getup!


  1. Your play suit is adorable. Love the top!

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Sorry, blogger was being weird and I wrote the same thing twice.

  4. Omg omg omg omg (um, yes, sorry)... I am in LOVE with your blog. I've been reading and giggling and wishing I could have all these vintage sewing patterns. I love this playsuit and I would wear it every day of my life. Or at least every day this summer. I love your creations! You're sew (ha!) talented. I'm a fan!! <3

  5. i plan on wearing that as much as possible! im already bracing myself for the most awkward tan lines of all time!
    thanks for the comment ladies :)

  6. your playsuit is beyond fabulous. you look adorable!

  7. Hi there!

    I just found your blog and it is hilarious! Then as I was reading I saw that you made the simplicity 8126!! I just found this pattern at an estate sale and it's missing a piece. If you still have this pattern could you email me the measurements for the piece C waistband?? I would be forever in your debt! And I love that you made it into a sci-fi skirt. Where did you find that fabric?? Awesome!

  8. Oh... My email is HeHe. And if you are ever in Austin and need a doggie groom, I am your gal!