Monday, November 7, 2011

finally- some skirts!

my momma loves me. she does. this weekend she picked up a bunch of patterns at a yard sale for me, and she did a great job picking them out! i've already made two skirts today using this one!
simplicity 7995

the first one i made was with this awesome horse fabric i got from the horder house last year-

you KNOW i have the best boots ever to go with this!

i did a little top stitching on the sides. the insides are all serged edges, but i thought it would have more of a blue-jean feel with this on the sides! 

 the print almost matched enough on this seam that all of the horses just look like martians

the second skirt is in a really nice print i think (if i remember right) is alexander henry... but i really might be remembering wrong. anywho, my friend lacee gave it to me earlier this year with a whole MESS of zippers, buttons and threads she had accumulated over the years.

this one is my favorite 

this pattern has a great shape to it. they are like, just between a pencil and an a line. i took in the bottom for a more shapely silhouette... i just have a real big booty so it doesn't quite look it here! 
so here are the other patterns momma got me:



the last two are my favorites of the bunch.... and i think that the vogue pattern is going to be made from this fabric i got last week from my secret san antonio fabric spot!

in other news- i have been working on this dress all day also, and was wondering if you guys might have a better idea of the date on it. i really wanna say 1940's... but i am not 100% on that. what do you think?
this is gonna be real nice when i'm done...


  1. WOW! I love the horsey skrit! Thank you for opening my eyes to the awesomeness of novetly prints. I need a horse or dog or cat skirt. ASAP.


  2. Your patterns almost took my breath away - for a moment!

  3. Lucky you, these patterns are great and I love the fabrics you used to make your skirts, the horse fabric is my favorite!

  4. I love a horse skirt.
    I have been drooling over this one.

  5. Hi! Cruised over from Sew Retro and just taking a look at what you are up to!

    Style dating can be tricky, can't it? A.W. 3831 might be late 40s or early 50s; hard to say. How full is the skirt, really? A good clue will lie there. Even though the New Look happened in the late 40s, skirts didn't get really full for the average person right away. Especially considering this is a mail order pattern and not a high-end like Vogue, I'd say their market was more on the frugal side. I'd hedge towards the early 50s.

  6. dying to know how the vogue pattern is working....